This activity helps students understand the symmetry of a butterfly’s wings.
White construction paper
Water soluble paint (several bright colors)
1. Fold a piece of paper in half, and draw half of a butterfly with the “body” on the folded edge.
2. Cut the butterfly shape out.
3. Open the butterfly shape up (there will be a fold in the middle).
4. Transfer paint into squeeze bottles (or simply apply thick splotches of paint with brushes), and squeeze small puddles of different colors onto one side of the unfolded butterfly shaped paper.
5. Now close the paper, and press sides together.
6. Open the paper, and let it dry completely. Now you have a perfectly matched set of butterfly wings!